In the name of Allah, Most Benificent, Most Merciful
Peace and salutations upon His beloved MessengerISLAMIC CULTURAL AND EDUCATIONAL ASSOCIATION
Course delivered by Shaykh Saad al Attas
101 Thornbury Road
(off Killinghall Road)
Shaykh Saad al Attas
Abu Shu`ayb Sa`d Peters al-`Attas, a South African with roots extending to Yemen. He is a grandson of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace).
He graduated from the Shari`a institute run by the Tahdhib wa Ta`lim endowment in Damascus, Syria. He was in the four year, accelerated program. His studies there included the following: Arabic, `Ulum al-quran, Usul al-tafsir, Hadith, Aqidah, Fiqh (Shafi`i and some comparitive), Usul al-Fiqh, Sira (fiqh al-sira, sirat of the Khulifa al-Rashidin), Mantiq, and Khitaba.
Some of the more important books read during that time include:
* Ibn Hisham’s Shudhur al-Dhahab and one year from Mughni al-Labib
* Shadhr al-`Arf
* al-Balagha al-Wadhiha
* Zakiriya al-Ansari’s commentary on the Jazariyya
* Half of the Jalalayn, al-Sabuni’s tafsir in Ayat al-Ahkam
* Dr. Nur al-Din `Itr’s `Ulum al-Qur’an
* al-Nawawi’s Irshad Tulab al-Haqa’id
* `Umdat al-Ahkam with its commentary Ihkam al-Ahkam
* al-Sawi `ala al-Jauhara, Dr. al-Buti’s book on contemporary paradigms
* `Umdat al-Salik, Kifayat al-Akhiyar
* al-Mahalli `Ala al-Waraqat, Dr. al-Zuhayli’s al-Wajiz, half of al-Luma` and Muftah al-Usul
* Mukhtasar Minhaj al-Qasidin
* Nur al-Yaqin, Itmam al-Wafa, Fiqh al-Sira
* Dhawabit al-Ma`rifah
His graduation thesis involved an extensive commentary on the hadiths concerning al-amr bi-l-ma`ruf wa al-nahi `an al-munkar. He defended his thesis and passed his oral examinations in `aqidah and fiqh, conducted by Shaykh `Abd al-`Aziz al-Khatib, the imam of Jami` al-Darwishiya and director of the school.
Outside of this institute Sa`d concentrated on Shafi`i fiqh. He read with Shaykh Hussayn Darawish for three years. During that time he completed Zakariya al-Ansari’s Tuhfat al-Tulab with most of al-Sharqawi’s marginal notes. He also completed nearly the first third of the same author’s Fath al-Wahhab with additional notes from al-Bujayrami’s marginal notes. While doing this he also read al-Shirazi’s al-Tanbih with al-Suyuti’s commentary, Sharh al-Yaqut al-Nafis, portions of al-Suyuti’s al-Ashbah wa al-Natha’ir, I`yanat al-Talibin, and others.
He moved to Keighley in Ramadan 2003 where he currently resides with his wife and four children.